Sunday February 24, 2019
7th SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
Refrain for the Responsorial Psalm:
“The Lord is merciful and gracious.”
Wednesday, February 27
8:30 a.m. +Gordon Murray – Tony and Marylou Lawlor
Thursday, February 28
8:30a. m. +Laura Ragotero – Esper LaFleur
Saturday, March 2
+Salvatore and Domenica Giorgi – Frisina Family
+Nomer Herce – Ameilia Davidge
Sunday, March 3
9:30 a.m. Our Parishioners
Sanctuary Lamp burns in memory of Nomer Herce – Ameilia Davidge. Also for Maria Giuseppina Riverso – Maria DiFelice.
SACRAMENTAL LIFE OF THE COMMUNITY
Baptisms will take place on the second Sunday of each month at the 9:30 a.m. Mass. Please contact the office at least one month in advance.
OUR MASS HOURS
Saturday, Evening Mass: 5:15 p.m.
Sunday Mass: 9:30 a.m.
Wednesday evening Mass: 7:00 p.m.
Thursday morning Mass: 8:30 a.m.
Reconciliation: Saturdays from 4:30 -5:00 p.m.
If you would like a Mass celebrated for a special intention or in memory of a deceased loved one, please contact the office. The cost is $10.
If you would like to have the Sanctuary Lamp burn in memory of a deceased loved one, or for a special intention, please contact the office. The cost is $10, and the Lamp will burn for the entire week.
Located at the King St. entrance. Candles can be lit in memory of a loved one or for a special intention. The suggested payment is $2.
Parishioners who have prayer intentions are invited to contact either the Parish Office or Ginette Howatt (prayer network co-ordinator) at 905-549-4808 or 905-746-9976.
NEW SUNDAY MISSALS
Copies are available at the King Street entrance. The cost is $5.00 each.
COOKIES, COFFEE AND CONVERSATION will be held the 1ST Sunday of the month, March 3rd, after the 9:30 a.m. Mass.
Also remember to check the bulletin boards for updates on events, etc.
CHILDREN’S LITURGY – SPREAD THE WORD
The Children’s Liturgy is every week at the 9:30 a.m. Mass. Invite friends and family to Mass. All children welcome. Please encourage your children to participate.
SPECIAL EVENTS HAPPENING
Ash Wednesday March 6.
St. Vincent de Paul Dinner April 13
CWL MEMBERSHIPS ARE DUE
Please put your envelope in the Sunday collection. Counters, put envelopes aside please. Thank you.
A SPECIAL BIRTHDAY WISH
Dear Parishioners, please join us on Sunday, March 3rd, from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., in the Parish hall to celebrate Mariette Thibault’s 90th Birthday. Best wishes only.
FROM THE PASTOR’S DESK
We give thanks to God for the wonderful parish we have, may God continue to bless us all! Please find some things I would like to share with you:
Lent 2019: Wednesday March 6 is Ash Wednesday. It begins the season of Lent, a time to continue to deepen our relationship with God and our neighbours through Prayer, Fasting and Alms-giving.
Active Participation: The Mass is he highest prayer in our Catholic faith, let’s participate fully, actively and consciously by praying and singing together. Our singing and responses are coming along well, let’s do more.
Our worship will be lively and uplifting if we respond audibly and sing joyfully.
“God is good”
Your servant in Christ: Andrew
PLEASE SEE INSERT: Important news update regarding Lent and other important issues.
INCOME TAX RECEIPTS
Income tax receipts for 2018 are available. If you have questions, please contact Lisa at the office as soon as possible.
MARDI GRAS GAME NIGHT
Join us Thursday, February 28 (7 to 11 pm) at the Knights of Columbus Hall for a fun evening of casino style games, bingo, food and more! Tickets are $25 and can be purchased after Mass at the King St. entrance or through the office. See bulletin boards for more information.
EXTRA ORDINARY MINISTERS
New Schedules are at the back of the Church at the King Street entrance.
DIOCESAN WEDDING ANNIVERSARY MASS
Please see the poster at the King Street doors for registration. Sunday, June 9th, 2019 at 1:30 p.m. at the Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King. This is for couples celebrating their 25th, 40th, 50th, or 60th year (or more) of marriage in the year 2019.
ONE HEART, ONE SOUL CAMPAIGN
The Diocese of Hamilton is conducting the One Heart, One Soul Campaign to raise money for every parish in the Diocese and for shared ministries. Answers to a set of Frequently Asked Questions appear in parish bulletins regularly. A compilation of all questions that have been published are available throughout the campaign at oneheartonesoul.ca.
CATECHETICAL CORRESPONDENCE COURSES
Programs available for children from Kindergarten through to High School not currently receiving religious instruction. Preparation for First Communion and Confirmation for children not in Catholic Schools also available. Families work through the programs at home. Contact Monica in the Catechesis Office at 905-528-7988, ext. 2238 or check out our web-site at www.hamiltondiocese.com and click on the Catechesis Office for more information, printable registration forms or to register online.
PRAYERS FOR VOCATIONS
Parishioners are kindly asked to pray for these Priests on the appointed day.
Monday Feb. 25 – Rev. David Weise
Tuesday Feb. 26 – Rev. Tom Moisan
Wednesday Feb. 27 – Catholic Single Adults
Thursday Feb. 28 – Rev. Pablito Labado
Friday Mar. 1 – Very Rev. Wayne Lobsinger
Saturday March 2 – Rev. Tim Theriault
If you love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you and pray for those who maltreat you, realize that God has already called YOU.
If you think God is calling you contact Fr. Michael King, Diocese of Hamilton at 905-528-7988 ext. 2246.
Sunday Regular Collection: $2,096.00
Loose: $ 155.00
Pre-authorized Offering $ 442.46
Total: $ 2,693.46
“But rather, love your enemies and do good to them, and lend without expecting anything back.” Luke 6:35
Easier said than done, right? But, if we are to imitate Christ, most of us need to practice mercy and compassion more frequently. Start with the little daily annoyances that we experience, the unkind word or hateful glance we receive. Instead of plotting revenge on that person, try saying a quick prayer for that person. Mercy and compassion will put us on the path to holiness.
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS CLUB OF HAMILTON
Managed by: Fr. J. Fergus Duffy. Council 1454 Charities
Hall Rentals: 222 Queenston Road, Hamilton
Consider us for your next special occasion event.
Celebration of Life, Weddings, Stag & Does, Meetings, Fund Raisers and more. Reasonable rates.
Two banquet rooms. Capacities up to 300.
Separate entrances and washrooms.
Free overnight parking.
Kitchen and air conditioning.
Full catering services available.
Smart Serve bartender included (restrictions apply).
Call us at 905-961-7348.
100% of proceeds go back into our community.
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH
Pastor: Reverend Fr. Andrew Quarshie
Secretaries: Rina Sheehan and Lisa White
Mailing Address: 128 Edgemont St. South, Hamilton ON L8K 2H8
Face book: St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Parish
Office hours: Tuesday to Friday, 9 am-12 pm and 1-4 pm
St. John the Baptist Pastoral Council Highlights
Members: Fr. Andrew Quarshie (President), Eric Geenen
(Co-chair), Ginette Howatt (Co-chair),
Mary Anne Creechan (Secretary), Peter Ozemoyah (Vice Chairperson), Jude Shawera, Mary Ann Slowka, John van der Zalm
Follow-up on Previous Events/Initiatives:
- News Update: We decided to keep parishioners informed about issues by sharing highlights of our meetings via an insert in the bulletin – you’re reading our first one!
- Prayer Network: We started a Prayer Network which is going well. We have 11 members who are praying for the intentions of 8 parishioners. Call the parish office and let’s pray for your intentions.
- Priest Portraits: We are working on framing portraits of Fr. Peter, Fr. Laszlo, and Fr. Andrew to hang in the sacristy. This is to update the lineup of portraits we have.
- Votive Candles: We are working on framing a prayer to the Sacred Heart to hang by the votive candles, which, together with the statue on the right, will be our shrine to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Please light a candle or visit the shrine to pray for yourself, family, friends, and all in need of prayer.
- Hall Rental: We are working with the Finance Council to see if we can offer hall rental at a reduced rate for active parishioners.
- Lent: Throughout Lent we will be having Stations of the Cross on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 PM. After Lent, this will be the new time of Wednesday’s daily Mass, to allow workers to share in a weekday Mass. We will also have Eucharistic Adoration on the first Wednesday of every month, after the Mass.
- School Involvement: We will be welcoming the students from St. John the Baptist School who will be participating in the Masses (greeting, reading petitions, taking up gifts) on March 3 and March 31.
- Altar Servers: Do you know any students who would like to be altar servers? We are planning to have a training day complete with a pizza lunch once we get some “new recruits”.
- Parish Website: We are looking into updating some of the content on our parish website.
- Parish Picnic: We are planning to celebrate our parish feast day by hosting a parish picnic on Sunday, June 23 after Mass.
- Faith Formation: We recognize that faith formation activities (Bible studies, video series, lectures) are needed in the parish, and Fr. Andrew is considering how to best go about this, with the possibility of starting a program in the Fall.